Since 2010, Chick Russell has served as Show Producer for Universal Creative, Universal Parks and Resorts, directing creative development of rides and attractions around the globe.
His recent achievements include the role of Show Producer and Writer of Universal Studios Hollywood’s and Universal Studios Singapore’s very successful and multi-award-winning thrill ride, “Transformers: The Ride—3D.” Mr. Russell is currently at the helm of “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” serving as Show Producer for the ambitious attraction undertaking slated to open at Universal Studios Hollywood.
Thea Case Studies Day April 5 is part of the annual, 2-day TEA Summit and TEA's Weekend of Events, culminating with the Thea Awards Gala on April 6. All events take place at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim and are organized by the Themed Entertainment Association. Tickets are available now.
More about Chick Russell
Prior to joining Universal Parks and Resorts, Mr. Russell was President of Chick Russell Communications. From 2003 to 2009, Mr. Russell’s prolific career included serving as writer and visual effects producer of Universal Orlando Resort’s, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter,” the recipient of an unprecedented four Thea Awards; head writer of “U-505” at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry; exhibit designer of the new the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History; and writer/director of “Battle Stations 21” for the U.S. Navy.
From 2000 to 2002, Mr. Russell was Vice President of Interactive Strategy at Young & Rubicam Advertising in Irvine, California, where he spearheaded digital brand and e-commerce development and developed the online presence of such clients as Lincoln Vehicles, Sony Digital Imagining, and Sony Aibo Robotics.
During his expansive career, Mr. Russell worked as Senior Writer/Producer at Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, California, the think-tank, R&D, theme park design and resort planning division of the Disney Company. He served as Writer and Producer on an array of projects at Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in Orlando; Disneyland and California Adventure in Anaheim; and Walt Disney Studios Paris. He was also show producer/writer of two lands at Tokyo DisneySea: Mediterranean Harbor and American Waterfront.
Mr. Russell began his career in corporate public relations at Getty Oil Company, a multinational Fortune 50 company, based in Los Angeles.
Mr. Russell holds a Master’s degree in Communication Arts and a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism from Loyola Marymount University of Los Angeles. He earned a Media Management certificate from USC’s Annenberg School for Communications and an Advanced Scriptwriting certificate from UCLA, and is a member of the Producers Guild of American and the Themed Entertainment Association.
- 2013 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: “Transformers: The Ride—3D” at Universal Studios Hollywood
- 2012 Lumière Award for Outstanding Achievement, International 3D Society: “Transformers: The Ride—3D” at Universal Studios Hollywood
- 2010 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: ”Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at Universal Orlando Resort
- 2010 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: ”Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” at Universal Orlando Resort
- 2010 TAM President’s Award for Extraordinary Concept and Design: Forth Worth Museum of Science and History
- 2007 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: ”Battle Stations 21” for the U.S. Navy
- 2007 Best Overall Award, Design-Build Institute of America: “Battle Stations 21” for the U.S. Navy
- 2007 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: ”U-505” at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- 2007 White House Commendation: ”U-505” at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- 2004 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: ”Action! An Adventure in Moviemaking” at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- 2004 Muse Award, American Association of Museums: ”Action! An Adventure in Moviemaking” at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
- 2002 Thea Outstanding Achievement Award: Tokyo DisneySea